The BECTU Sector of Prospect represents a community of workers, in a wide variety of roles across the media, entertainment, IT and telecoms industries. BECTU membership currently stands at approximately 40,000.
The union is effective in its representation of both staff (employees) and freelance workers: that means full-time staff, part-time staff, project workers, contract workers, freelancers, casuals and dailies.
BECTU supports members working in non-performance roles in broadcasting; film and cinema; digital media; independent production; leisure; IT and telecoms, and theatre, live events and the arts.
By joining us, you secure our support for you as an individual, together with access to a range of benefits and services. For example, our freelancer members have access to subsidised public liability insurance.
BECTU’s wide-ranging work on behalf of members includes:
- Negotiating pay, conditions and contracts with employers
- Personal advice and representation for individual members
- Advice and representation on health and safety
- A raft of member benefits and services
- Training support and professional courses
- Networking events and career development opportunities
- A quarterly union journal, Stage Screen and Radio
- Members website including news, events and members’ only information and advice
The key aims of BECTU are to:
- protect jobs
- build our community to become stronger
- win new recognition agreements
- improve pay and conditions of service, including pensions
For more information, see our website.